Systematic approach to generating word of mouth marketing.
Makes use of the hypothalmus’ need for validation.
- We rate and refer as a form of survival
- We refer to connect to other people
- We refer to build our own form of social currency – placing a deposit in the goodwill bank!
The hypothalmus also deals with risk
- A referral is a risk so need to build trust
- People talk about the things that exceed their expectations and surprise them (think Weepop!)
Nobody talks about a boring business
- If you’re safe you’re probably boring!
- We need to differentiate
Consistency builds trust
- Need to consistently replicate your schtick
Marketing is a System
- Need to embrace corporate values
- Need to blend that with authentic self
- Need to energixe others to promote you
The Most Tragic Referral Reality
Majority of business comes via referrals, but 79.9 % don’t sytematise it.
Jantsch, J. 2013, The referral engine : teaching your business to market itself. London : Portfolio, 2011.